We complement our technical and nautical skills with legal expertise
DP LEGAL, brand for DP Survey Group NV, provides All-in-One Solutions as well as Stand-Alone Services. Our services cover both marine (cargo, liability, hull, etc.) and non-marine lines (property, business interruption, etc.) and are customized to your needs.
Your dedicated team
Our services are centralized in our HQ in Zwijndrecht (Antwerp), Belgium to ensure quality and one way of working and are performed by a client-focused, multilingual team, consisting of lawyers combined with experienced claims handlers and recovery specialists.
Rather than being different to our competitors, we endeavour to be relevant to you and will therefore continually adapt and improve our services according to your needs.
DPS’ Legal Department is performing recovery actions worldwide from our office in Antwerp on a no cure – no pay basis. Our goal is always to obtain the best possible result through amicable negotiations and to avoid expensive and time consuming legal procedures.
- Marine & Non-Marine services
- Collecting all necessary documents for introducing the claim with the liable party
- Introducing the claim with the liable party
- Negotiating with the liable party in order to obtain a favourable settlement
Specific marine services
- Negotiating with the Owner of the vessel / P&I Club to obtain a guarantee covering the estimated loss to the cargo
- Taking all necessary legal measures in case the Owner of the vessel / P&I Club refuses to issue a guarantee
General Average is a principle of maritime law where in the event of a peril, the intentional losses and expenses made for the common safety are shared by all parties involved in the maritime adventure. DPS Legal Department is experienced in handling such General Average claims on behalf of cargo underwriters. Our services include advising parties on all steps that need to be taken, putting up the General Average Guarantee on behalf of underwriters and checking / drafting the General Average Adjustment. Our guarantee is accepted by all major Average Adjusting Offices.
General average services
- Advising parties on all steps that need to be taken;
- Issuing the General Average Guarantee and / or the Salvage Guarantee for account of the cargo underwriters;
- Participate in the discussion with the salvors in order to reach an agreement / amicable arrangement regarding the salvage charges;
- Negotiating a reduction of the General Average contribution (either before or after declaration of the General Average Adjustment);
- Advance deposits, provisional contributions and final contributions;
- Control of the General Average allowances, drafting of the General Average
- Salvage Adjustment and collection of cargo contribution in General Average / Salvage
DP LEGAL can rely on the expertise and 24/7 availability of our in-house marine and non-marine surveyors as well as our international network, enabling a global reach, no matter the location of the incident and the opponent or the type of claim and jurisdiction.
Reporting will remain limited to important developments to avoid any extra workload on your part. Nevertheless, no decisions will be taken without consulting you first.
Periodic Management Information, including risk identification & risk analysis based on claims activity and claims trends, can be easily provided as per your needs.
For large & complex losses, DP LEGAL will submit a cost-effective and tactical strategy advice, to be finetuned during the claims process, in conjunction with you.